Top 10 Best Pitbull Dog Shampoo for 2019 Reviews
It would be an understatement to say that pit bulls make for great pets. But like most dog breeds, they don’t really do much to keep themselves clean. If anything, your pit bull would rather spend time rolling in muck than grooming him/herself.
There’s nothing like picking up your pup for a hug, only to be hit by the stench of their latest adventures. That’s why you want to have the right pitbull dog shampoo with you at all times. It won’t make your dog start looking forward to baths, but it’ll keep his coat clean and fresh for days. Let’s take a look at the best products available on the market today.
1. Pro Pet Works All Natural Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Does your pitbull have allergies or a sensitive skin? The All Natural Dog Shampoo and Conditioner from Pro Pet Works might be just what you need. It’s designed to be tough on dirt and vermin but gentle on your pooch’s skin. Pet Pro Works’ formulation employs natural ingredients like almond oil, aloe vera, and vitamins A, D, & E. Being free of artificial cleansers and fragrances, this product is ideal for dogs with allergies and sensitive skins.
For just $18.49, you get a 17-ounce bottle of shampoo and conditioner rolled into one. If user feedback is anything to go by, you can rest assured that it will keep your dog clean and smelling fresh for days. You will also be pleased by the manufacturer’s commitment to green. Not only is the product biodegradable, but it’s also packaged with recycled plastic.
- An effective combination of shampoo and conditioner.
- With its essential oils, this shampoo will leave your pup’s coat moisturized and silky.
- It is soap-free: This means it won’t irritate your dog’s eyes, and is safe for frequent use.
- Its hypoallergenic formula is ideal for dogs with allergies.
- It’s cheaper than most organic pet grooming products.
- It doesn’t rinse off as easily as other shampoos.
- The scent can be off-putting.
2. BOOCOSA Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo for Dogs
Seems strange to see a product from a brand that doesn’t specialize in toiletries, doesn’t it? Well, the Honeydew Oatmeal Pet Shampoo from BOOCOSA is no wildcard. As a matter of fact, it’s the only medicated product that utilizes a 100% natural formulation.
It comes with colloidal oatmeal as the main active ingredient. This provides relief for dry, itchy and irritated skin while dialing down the nasty odors. Oatmeal also happens to be a proven bug repellent. For a restorative bathing experience, the manufacturer includes natural moisturizers like Jojoba, buttermilk and Pro-Vitamin B5.
This top pitbull dog shampoo is free of artificial fragrances, sulfates and anything else that would irritate your mutt’s skin. That means you can lather generously and let it work its way deep into the coat. On that note, it should come as a delight that the product’s available at a discounted price of $9.95 for an 8-ounce bottle.
- It provides relief for the skin without causing any side-effects.
- Doesn’t leave a wet smell after bathing.
- Lathers well and rinses off easily.
- It comes in a BPA-free bottle.
- It’s only available in one size.
3. Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
Available for $36.75, the Oatmeal Dog Shampoo from Lillian Ruff is by far the priciest option on the list. But it’s also the most generous package; you get a gallon of ‘poo to keep your pooch clean and fresh for a couple of months at the very least. For your first purchase, however, you might want to grab a 16-ounce bottle for 17 bucks.
That’s not to say it will fall short of your expectations. The combination of oat kernel flour and aloe vera, along with the coconut base, makes for a deep cleanse that leaves a long-lasting pleasant scent. Lavender is also included to keep ticks and fleas away. All in all, most users report that the product delivers exactly what it claims on the label: cleaning, moisturizing, and relief against irritants.
- Suitable for both adult pitbulls and puppies.
- Gentle on skin, and won’t irritate your dog’s nose or eyes.
- It doesn’t contain parabens, gluten or sulfates.
- Great value for money.
- Comes with a 30-day, 100 percent money back guarantee.
- Some have reported that it doesn’t soften the coat as well as other oatmeal products.
4. Earthbath All Natural Pet Shampoo
Coming from a brand with two decades’ worth of experience in the pet care business, Earthbath All Natural Shampoo is a great investment that won’t disappoint. It comes with aloe vera and tea tree oil as the main ingredients, both of which are proven in treating irritation. Specifically, you can trust them to relieve discomfort caused by insect bites and hot spots.
The shampoo’s coconut-based cleansers are highly effective in cleaning the skin and coat. It also comes with almond and vanilla extracts to ensure your dog smells great. Customers have also noted that it works well alongside topical flea treatments.
Being pH-balanced and devoid of phosphates/parabens, this product is well-suited for pit bulls with allergies. You’ll also be delighted to know that it’s 100 percent biodegradable. Prices start at $13.90, but you can grab a 16-ounce bottle right away for 6 bucks less.
- All-natural formula: No need to worry about side effects and such.
- Lathers easily.
- It has a nice, subtle scent.
- Excellent at removing odors.
- It doesn’t rinse out as easily as other cleansers.
- The scent tends to dissipate rather quickly.
5. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo
SynergyLabs’ Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs is renowned for its effectiveness against a wide range of skin conditions. It can also be a good choice if allergies have left your pitbull’s skin all itchy and rashy. It is available over-the-counter, but considering that it’s medicated, you might want to consult your vet before purchasing.
Otherwise, you’ll find that this product boasts of positive feedback from both reviewers and customers alike. That’s all down to its fast-acting formulation; it combines antiseptic agents and natural moisturizers to relieve inflammation whilst keeping the skin hydrated. It’s also pH-balanced and free of harsh additives (parabens, soaps and synthetic dyes).
A 16-ounce bottle of SynergyLabs’ Medicated cleanser retails for $8.49. The rule-of-thumb regimen is to shampoo twice or thrice per week at first, then cut back as the skin improves. But as highlighted earlier, this product is no substitute for vet-prescribed treatment.
- Has a pocket-friendly price tag for a medicated product
- It can be bought over the counter
- Can be used alongside other topical treatments
- May not work for certain infections
- The scent might be too strong for your pup
6. Pet Oatmeal Anti-Itch Shampoo & Conditioner In One
There’s a good reason why most vets recommend this combo from Pets Are Kids Too. It has proven to be safe and effective for all canines, including young puppies. And that’s because it utilizes natural ingredients while steering clear of synthetic additives.
Besides the obvious oatmeal and aloe vera, the product also includes baking soda. This creative combination provides instant relief for itches and hot-spots. You’ll also love the oatmeal cookie scent; it’s less-pronounced compared to other cleansers, but works well in combating nasty odors. You can get a bottle of Pet Oatmeal two-in-one for $16.99 online.
- It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agents.
- It doesn’t irritate
- It has a subtle scent that doesn’t overwhelm
- Provides relief for itchiness and other skin conditions
- Pricey compared to other 2-in-1 combos.
- The fresh smell doesn’t stick for long.
7. Vanilla Oatmeal Dog Shampoo with Aloe Vera
The Colloidal Oatmeal Dog Shampoo from PetPleasant combines all the best natural ingredients for a thorough cleanse and effectiveness against odors. Oatmeal and aloe vera are the main ingredients. But it also comes with lavender and primrose as deodorizing agents. The coconut oil base keeps the skin moisturized as the other ingredients continue to work their magic.
The shampoo is enhanced with Jojoba for protection against bacteria and fungi. Users report that the scent is powerful enough to linger around for weeks. And because this is a tear-free product, bath time will be a lot more enjoyable for both you and your pooch. An 8-ounce bottle retails for around $9.95.
- Rated safe for puppies over 6 weeks
- Highly effective in combating odors
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- This product is not suitable for dogs with skin disorders.
8. Lillian Ruff Dog Oatmeal Shampoo and Conditioner Set
Perhaps it’s time you gave your furry loved one the ultimate salon experience. If you concur, the Lilian Ruff 2-in-1 Set is a no-brainer. For just $27.95, you get two 16-ounce bottles of shampoo and conditioner.
Both products are formulated to be gentle and safe for all skin types. The main ingredients are coconut oils, lavender, oatmeal and aloe. This combination will not only brighten your pooch’s coat, but also keep it free of bugs. Lilian Ruff ‘Poo also helps with tangling and matting; you could even use it to keep things under control when vacuuming your dog.
- Both products are highly effective and pet-friendly. Their scents are pleasant but not overwhelming.
- The shampoo lathers well and rinses away with little effort.
- The set comes with a free poop bag dispenser with more than a dozen bags.
- It also carries a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Flimsy packaging: This might not be apparent at first glance, but some buyers have complained that the product arrived squished and leaking.
9. Wahl Pet Friendly Lavender Waterless No Rinse Shampoo
Made using natural plant-derived ingredients, this will come in handy in those times when your canine just won’t tolerate a bath. Also consider grabbing a bottle if you’re dealing with a water shortage. Whatever the case, Wahl Pet-Friendly Lavender No-Rinse Shampoo will keep your pet’s coat clean, fresh and dander-free.
It costs just $5.97 for a 7-ounce bottle. Wahl’s formula employs natural conditioners like aloe vera, coconut oil and oatmeal extract, along with a combination of lavender and chamomile for the scent. Guar gum is also included to help lock in moisture whilst giving the product a foamy consistency.
But how exactly does a waterless ‘poo work? Just pour some gel into your palm, rub your hands together, and massage it evenly on your furry friend’s body. That will be enough for a thorough cleaning of both his/her skin and the coat. Keep in mind that there’s no need to rinse it out afterward.
- Convenient and easy to apply.
- Versatile: Wahl’s No-Rinse cleanser can also be used for conditioning, moisturizing and detangling.
- Its oatmeal formulation relieves itchiness and reduces shedding.
- Doesn’t contain harsh chemicals
- The scent can be overwhelming
10. BotaniVet Certified Organic Manuka Honey Pet Shampoo
At $25.99 for a 16-ounce bottle, BotaniVet’s Manuka Honey Pet Shampoo does seem like a pricey proposition at first glance. But it’s a worthwhile investment in your dog’s wellbeing. Of all the products on the list, this has received the highest number of positive reviews from users.
And that’s no lucky accident — the shampoo features a combination of Manuka honey and plant-derived extracts. The former is a honey variety sourced from New Zealand, and which is recognized for its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. Other ingredients include aloe vera as well as coconut, Jojoba and olive oils. As a whole, this ‘poo provides a thorough wash while also providing relief for dogs with irritated skins.
- It uses natural ingredients that don’t irritate skin
- The product is 100% biodegradable.
- Relatively cheap for a hypoallergenic product
- It has a well-balanced fragrance — strong enough to linger on the coat, but not overwhelming.
- The scent can be overwhelmingCons
- It doesn’t foam: This isn’t necessarily a bad thing but, if you haven’t used this shampoo before, you might find yourself applying more than you need to get the job done.
- Continuing on the point above, the ‘poo might require a bit of effort when it comes to rinsing. And that could leave your dog’s fur tangled up.
Pitbull Dog Shampoo Selection Tips
Though Pitbulls are all love and a tad little goofy, they want to be your best friend and remain unsatisfied unless you keep them by your side at all times. You need a good shampoo to keep his coat and skin as healthy as possible, as well as to ensure that he keeps smelling fresh. As a rule of the thumb, you should avoid using shampoos intended for humans on him, as they contain dyes, fragrances, and chemicals that general rule, you should never use a product intended for humans on your dog. The shampoo used by humans might contain chemicals, fragrances, and dyes that could irritate the Pitbull’s skin. This is of specific concern for Pitbulls, as they, apart from having sensitive skin, are extremely prone to infections and allergies. Remember these factors when selecting Pitbull dog shampoo. As far as skin conditions are concerned, Pitbulls are more often than not affected by mange, infections, and allergies. The last mentioned problem can be caused due to environmental allergens such as dust to pollen to ingredients found in common dog foods such as corn, soy, and wheat. The most common cause of skin problems are bacteria, fungus, or yeast. They also suffer from demodectic mange, caused by the demodex canis parasite that resides in the hair follicles of the Pitbull, and result in hair loss and severe irritation to this breed of dog.back to menu ↑
Types of Pitbull Shampoo
Visit any supermarket or visit an online store dedicated for domestic pet products. You will find various types of shampoos available. However, you can classify them into several categories… each kind suitable for different types of problems. Here are some of the common ones:
• Sensitive skin: Certain Pitbulls have sensitive skin, prone to allergies. Coconut oil and oatmeal based shampoos are best for them. Therefore, check the list of ingredients before purchasing this skin cleanser.
• Antibacterial and antifungal shampoos: All dogs have naturally occurring bacteria on their skin, the commonest one of them being yeast. If you reside in an area having hot and humid climate, this infection becomes uncontrollable and cause an infection. If your Pitbull is chewing at his paws, scratching himself against the floor and wall, it is a sure sign of yeast infection. Apply antibacterial and antifungal on your canine friend to get rid of yeast infections.
• Anti-dandruff: Dogs of all breeds, including Pitbulls, suffer from dandruff. Dandruff is a pretty common coat issue for dogs of all breeds. This disease in which white flakes fall when you brush the coat of your dog is caused by parasites, dry weather conditions, and thyroid issues. It can also occur due to a genetic disorder. If your Pitbull has dry skin, select a moisturizing shampoo for him.
• Deodorizing shampoos: Most dogs stink because of the natural skin oils that their body produces in order to keep their coat moisturized. If you feel irritated by the smell emerging from the skin of the special member of your family, consider purchasing and using a best smelling and deodorizing shampoo.
Top Pitbull Dog Shampoo Brands
• Buddy Wash Relaxing Green Tea & Bergamot Dog Shampoo & Conditioner: Formulated with organic and cosmetic grade ingredients and manufactured in USA, this gentle shampoo and conditioner has essential oils and botanical extracts for long lasting freshness. It is both alcohol and soap free. It promotes silky soft coat and healthy skin. It is manufactured using natural conditioners and botanical extracts like chamomile, green tea, rosemary, Aloe Vera, tea tree oil, and sage
• 4-Legger Organic, Hypo-Allergenic, Lemongrass & Aloe Dog Shampoo: You can wash your furry friend confidently with this organic shampoo without worrying about the side effects of synthetic chemicals. Its ingredients include Aloe Vera and lemongrass and it great for allergic, itchy, and dry skin. It also contains essential oils and organic oils to promote naturally healthy skin and provide soothing relief.
• Healthy Breeds Oatmeal Shampoo with Aloe Vera: Formulated specially for the Pitbull breed who have dry and sensitive skin. It contains a mixture of Aloe Vera and oatmeal, which apart from providing relief to dry and itchy skin, rejuvenates skin and promote healing. This is one of the rare shampoos that is pH balanced, a property essential for Pitbulls with sensitive skin. The hypoallergenic formula added to the shampoo makes sure that it is safe to use with topical flea treatments. It also leaves a nice coconut aroma that lasts for several days.
Average Pitbull Shampoo Pricing
The three brands described above cost $7.29, $14.99, and $14.99. The first and the second one are available in 16oz bottles, whereas the last one, which is costlier, ships in an 8oz bottle. Therefore, one can safely say that the average price of Pitbull shampoos hover in the range of $15 for bottles containing 16 ounces of the cleanser. However, some brands offer 20oz bottles for as low as $7.30. Therefore, you should check the various popular brands available, check their pros and cons, select a few of them, and then compare their prices and the quantity of shampoo available per bottle. However, never compromise quantity for quality. Remember, the viscosity of some of the above mentioned shampoo brands are quite dense and a small volume of them provides the same lather as a large volume of other brands.back to menu ↑
Questions and Answers
What is the best shampoo for a Pitbull?
WARNING: Never use shampoo made for humans on pets as they contain chemicals, dyes, and fragrances, which could irritate the extremely sensitive skin of your Pitbull. If you have any doubts, seek advice from your colleagues, neighbors, or family members who too have Pitbull dogs. They will provide you with details of online stores that only stock and sell the best shampoos. When selecting Pitbull dog shampoo look for the following:
• Hypoallergenic — Hypoallergenic dog shampoos do not contain ingredients likely to irritate the skin of your dog, and are formulated for dogs that have sensitive skin.
• Moisturizers — Opt for a shampoo that contains moisturizing agents. This helps condition and soothe his coat and skin. Remember, the skin of Pitbulls are extremely sensitive and are prone to allergies.
• Natural Ingredients — Instead of purchasing a cleansing agent made with synthetic chemicals, go for a dog shampoo that only contains organic ingredients. They brands containing natural ingredients might be slightly costlier, but the help avoid the chances of a negative reaction on your canine friend.
• Puppy-Safe — If you are the proud owner of a Pitbull puppy, make doubly sure that the ingredients in the shampoo you plan to purchase is safe for the skin of very young puppies. Search for a mild shampoo, formulated for protecting the skin of your young canine friend.
How often do you give a Pitbull a bath?
The dog’s average bathing frequency is once per month. However, this period differs from one breed to the other. Factors like the type and length of fur are one of the important factors that determine the bathing frequency. Pitbulls have short fur, protected by organic oils that gather over time to coat their fur and protect it. Therefore, bathing them once every month is sufficient.
How often should I bathe my indoor Pitbull?
As mentioned previously, bathing your Pitbull once every month is fine. However, your indoor Pitbull is not subjected to dust and mites when they are indoors. In such a scenario, bathing them once every three to six months is ideal. Look for tell-take signs. If your pet is scratching its fur continuously, chances are bright that it is suffering from a flea attack. In such a scenario, you should shampoo him earliest possible. Use a shampoo that contains Aloe Vera and lemongrass as it provides with quick relief against fleas. A shampoo that includes hypoallergenic ensures that it is safe to use to remove topical fleas. TIP: Ensure that you keep the ears of your pet clean and dry by plugging them with cotton balls while bathing them. Check their ears every few days for buildup of bacteria and dirt and use a special wipe to clean them.
Do pit bulls get haircuts?
Pitbulls hardly require any grooming. Thanks to their short coat, you do not require much time to bathe them. Apart from this, their furs are not smelly and their short coat hardly requires maintenance. Pitbulls do not require haircuts and their fur does not need to be brushed.
What is the best Pitbull shampoo for allergies?
The best such shampoos include:
• SynergyLabs Veterinary Formula (contains coal tar, micronized sulfur, salycilic acid, allantoin and colloidal oatmeal)
• 4-Legger (contains lemongrass, aloe vera, coconut oil, and olive oil)
• Earthbath All Natural (contains green tree leaf extract, shea butter, green tea, and awapuhi)
• Burt’s Bees Dogs: (strongly recommended for Pitbull puppies. Contains coco glucoside, coco betaine, xanthan gum, omega 3, linseed, honey, and beeswax)
• Moosh: (contains shea butter, gaur gum, aloe, nutmeg, bentonite clay, coconut oil, olive, neem, and argan).
Using the shampoos recommended and taking care of your Pitbull as described ensures that your canine friend will remain healthy and provide you and the members of your family a joyous time.