Top 10 Best Pitbull Dog Muzzles for 2019 Reviews
If your pet dog has this history of inflicting harm on fellow dogs or humans, you must muzzle him. Dog muzzles are not just meant to tame down aggressive pitbulls but can also be used to train the ones that exhibit unwanted behaviors, from barking and biting to pulling and licking. The dog muzzle is not what it looks like. The dogs are at ease and comfort while wearing them, provided you buy the right muzzle type and size. Speaking of which, the following are the top pitbull muzzles you can buy in 2019.
1. CollarDirect Pitbull Muzzle
This CollarDirect dog muzzle is quite similar to the other CollarDirect muzzle featured on this list. However, it varies in length and circumference. If you are looking to buy this muzzle, make sure the snout and snout length of your dog is 14 inches and 3 inches respectively. This genuine leather muzzle has a couple of adjustable straps. To confirm size, measure the length and circumference of your pet’s snout.
The muzzle suits pitbulls with short snouts, and the basket design ensures the dog continues with its panting and eating unhindered. It can be easily put on and brings down its barking tendencies as well. It’s designed for Pitbulls, Staffordshire, AmStaff terrier and other varieties that have similar snouts.
- Convenient basket design
- Highly durable leather
- Ideal for dogs that have stout snouts
- Perfect to train boisterous young dogs
- May not fit all pitbulls
- Metal finish could be a bit intimidating to others
2. GoodBoy Gentle Muzzle Guard
GoodBoy Gentle Muzzle Guard adds a humane touch to prevent your dogs from barking excessively, chewing unwantedly, and biting. This soft muzzle is available in multiple sizes. Also, thanks to the Velcro straps, the muzzle is easily adjustable to perfectly fit your dog. The muzzle lets your pet to breathe and easily pant and doesn’t mitigate its ability to drink, which is why the muzzle is generally considered a more humane option.
This muzzle features connection and collar straps so that it could be held firmly in place. The neoprene padding, at the same time, stops hot spots and chaffing from forming. Also, the muzzle includes good-quality buckles, which make further adjusting the muzzle for a secure and easy fit seamless.
- The padded neoprene strap minimizes rubbing risks that could lead to hot spots and chaffing
- Design doesn’t hinder dogs from drinking, panting, and breathing naturally
- Can be easily adjusted to fit the dog’s requirements
- Some dogs may easily remove this muzzle
- Sizing isn’t the most accurate
3. Barkless Soft Silicone Dog Muzzle
This soft silicone muzzle by Barkless has an adjustable nylon loop that’s ideal for people who’d like to cut down on the barking of their dogs. It also helps during walks as the muzzle prevents the dogs from pulling. The adjustable straps not just provide a snug fit but also ensure the dog finds the muzzle comfortable to wear. Not to mention, the soft tape style is less intimidating compared to some other more conventional muzzles.
The basket design offers complete protection to your dog, and prevents it from eating dirty food, biting, and barking incessantly. It’s safe and secure, with the strap ensuring the muzzle would stay in place. Also, there are a couple of extra attachment points. The loop also attaches to the dog’s collar, and the strap atop the head can be fastened to the strap at the rear. This means you need not worry about the strap falling off.
- Comes in a range of sizes
- Mitigates dogs chewing and pulling
- Simple, pared back overall design
- Putting it on the dog for the first time could be a bit tricky
- For some dogs, the muzzle could be a bit too wide
4. CollarDirect Pitbull Terrier Secure
The Pitbull Dog Muzzle by CollarDirect is a handcrafted muzzle with a couple of adjustable straps made from genuine leather, making it ideal for strong and big dog varieties such as the Staffordshire Terrier or the Pitbull. The two most important features in a pitbull muzzle is the fit and secure placement. This pitbull muzzle excels on both the fronts.
This dog muzzle is typically used to train dogs as the design lets you feed the dog with a treat and offer water via the snaps found in the frontal portion of the mouth. Compared to other kinds of pitbull muzzles, like the mesh-style or cage-style muzzle, this muzzle from CollarDirect is extremely comfortable to wear. Even after having worn the muzzle for hours together, you will not see any marks or smears left on the dog’s skin due to mouth leakage.
- Comfortable and secure fit
- Made from high-quality and genuine leather
- An attractive-looking muzzle
- Opening the mouth and breathing during long walks should not be an issue
- Strap may trap the teeth
- A bit on the larger side
5. Moonpet Basket Dog Muzzle
This basket dog muzzle from Moonpet is a lightweight, basket design muzzle that offers all-around protection. It’s made of non-smell and non-toxic silicone rubber that’s durable and lightweight and quite soft on your dog. The design ensures your dog breathes, pants and drinks unhindered throughout the period it has the muzzle on. “Complete protection” means you may no longer fear your dog biting others or on things when you aren’t around. It shall also safeguard your dog from eating leftovers and barking at pedestrians for no apparent reason.
The bottom loop is breathable and adjustable. It’s made to attach to the dog’s collar. Also, there is a removable, optional over-head safety strap. Moreover, this muzzle is easy to fit and remove, thanks to the padded nylon belt. The softness of the padding ensures your dog doesn’t resist to putting the muzzle on or off.
- Soft padding ensures your dog wouldn’t mind the muzzle too much
- Breathing and eating through the muzzle is a breeze
- Secure and strong enough for complete safety
- May leave behind a few marks
- Without the collar, your dog could pull the muzzle off
6. Viper Delta Basket Dog Muzzle
This basket style dog muzzle by Viper Delta is a true multipurpose dog muzzle that’s perfect for grooming, training, and walking your dog. It is padded, lightweight and very comfortable. The well-ventilated design ensures your dog could wear the muzzle for long without complaining. The high-quality metal and leather build ensures the muzzle doesn’t lose its integrity with regular use and can take some beating too.
The muzzle’s solid construction can also be attributed to its precise measurements. The leather has padding that ensures maximum comfort, with the strap being equipped with three adjustable points that make for a perfect fit. The impeccable design also incorporates solid ventilation, allowing your dog to drink while the muzzle is on. Available in different sizes, kindly go through the sizing guide for proper measurement and more related information.
- Fitting is a major positive
- Made from high-quality metal and leather
- Solid ventilation makes long-term wearing a non-issue
- Comes in multiple sizes
- The right size may not be available for some dogs
- Fitting the muzzle on your dog could turn out a minor battle
7. CooZero Dog Muzzles Suit
This adjustable dog muzzle suit by CooZero is ideal if you are not sure about the muzzle size you are looking for, have more than one dog, or looking for a muzzle that would adjust to the size of your growing dog. Available in seven unique sizes, you need not pre-measure this muzzle before buying. This means you need not worry about trying different sizes upon product arrival to ascertain the correct fit.
The muzzle hinders your dog from licking wounds, barking, biting, and eating stuff they mustn’t while letting it drink and pant. The soft, eco-friendly material is comfortable and easy to wash. The adjustable strap choices ensure the muzzle stays in place comfortably and safely. One of the attachment straps gets hooked to the collar of your dog and the other strap (which is optional and removable) protects the head.
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Measuring the muzzle’s size will not be required anymore
- Permits panting and drinking
- Breathable, eco-friendly material
- Doesn’t fit dogs with very short faces
- A fairly restrictive muzzle that comes in between your dog and its food
8. BronzeDog Dog Muzzle
The BronzeDog dog muzzle’s metal cage design makes it ideal for training Dobermans and preventing them from biting and barking at will. The adjustable straps should fit medium-size Dobermans comfortably; however, it’s recommended you measure the snout of your dog before purchase. The built-in wire is extremely sturdy, and the muzzle is well-padded to keep your pet comfortable at all times.
There are four adjusting straps that ensure comfort fitting. Also, since the muzzle has an open basket design and the spacing is wider than normal, your dog should not have any trouble breathing, drinking, or eating with the muzzle on. This also helps with ventilation, which comes in quite handy during hot weather conditions.
- Doesn’t cause any heat-related discomfort
- Design facilitates food consumption
- Padding provides additional comfort
- Doesn’t require much adjustments
- Metal basket case looks a bit ferocious
- The wire may irritate some dogs’ skin since there is no side padding
9. Barkless Leather Dog Muzzle
This leather dog muzzle by Barkless is particularly made for dogs with longer-than-average snouts, ideally in the 7 to 15.7-inch range. It comes in four size variations, with the leather construction being perfect for dogs with sensitive skin. The bottom and side straps could be adjusted to make sure there is enough space for your canine to drink, pant, and eat while preventing it from opening its mouth sufficiently wide to bite or bark.
The holes found in the muzzle offer improved breathability, which makes the muzzle easy and comfortable to wear for prolonged periods. However, the thing that we like the most about this muzzle is its anti-slip loop that’s attached to the collar of your dog. Not to mention, it helps ensure the muzzle stays in place firmly.
- Soft quality leather offering enhanced comfort
- Specifically made for breeds with long snouts
- The air hole design enhances breathability
- Not the most ideal muzzle to mitigate or minimize barking tendencies of your dog
- Not the most versatile since it fits only select canine breeds
10. Niteangel Quick Fit Dog Muzzle
This Niteangel dog muzzle lets your pet to yawn and pooch a bit while letting you manage its inclination to bark, bite, or nip at things. The muzzle design is fairly straightforward – there’s just a loop in the center instead of the typical sleeve. Also, the strap can be adjusted easily to facilitate a better fit. This muzzle is made of sturdy and durable nylon and is unlikely to slip.
The muzzle stands out from the competition because of its simplicity. Dogs can pant with the muzzle on. Also, since it’s quite easy to adjust, the fit can be altered according to your dog’s comfort. Not to mention, the pared back muzzle design is not as intimidating as a full snout dog muzzle. If you are having trouble with fitting, refer the bundled-in fitment guide.
- Simple, yet quite an effective design
- Sturdy and durable nylon construction
- Comes with adjustable loops
- Single strap design
- A bit on the pricey side
- Not the basket muzzle that most dog owners prefer
Pitbull Dog Muzzle Selection Tips
You may consider muzzling your Pitbull for various reasons. For instance, while it is necessary to muzzle some dogs because of where they live, sometimes the muzzles are worn for sporting purposes. Some muzzles are also used specifically to prevent Pitbulls from attacking people. Here are tips for choosing muzzles for your Pitbull.
For Temporary Use
If you intend to be using your muzzle in more locations than one, it’s important that you choose a style to be used more frequently.
• Choose a mesh muzzle if the dog requires only slight restraining for a bite or accidental prevention, or if you fear that he may bark excessively while at a groomer’s salon or a vet’s office. Vets and groomers usually muzzle dogs they aren’t familiar with, so they are likely to appreciate it if you provide your own.
• For sporting purposes, the best dog muzzle to buy is either a leather muzzle, lightweight plastic or fabric muzzle. Fabric muzzles are usually lightweight, which makes them suitable for small dogs and are mainly used to prevent accidental bites during short races. Go for a lightweight plastic in case your pooch needs to compete in longer races, or if it will wear it for more than a couple of minutes.
Aggression or Bite Prevention
• If you want a muzzle because your Pitbull has aggression behaviors, or you want to prevent it from biting other dogs or people, make sure you know the weight of the muzzle needed for the job. You can easily control small dogs by cloth or mesh muzzles, even if they show aggression signs. You may not want to use leather muzzles on smaller dogs as they are too heavy.
• Another thing is to know how frequently you are going to use the muzzle. If it’s intended for daily use, consider buying a sturdy leather muzzle for the Pitbull. But if you only need to use it on your dog for occasional walks or when traveling, all you might need are plastic muzzles.
• Additionally, consider how safe a muzzle is for you to use. Where a dog must be muzzled because of aggression or for bite prevention, you shouldn’t put your life at risk when applying it. Go for a muzzle that’s easy to wear to your dog, but which still does its job pretty well.back to menu ↑
Types of Pitbull Muzzles
One of the most important things to consider when selecting a Pitbull muzzle is to understand the different types of muzzles. There are diverse types or categories of Pitbull muzzles and each serves a different purpose. Here are the most common muzzles types.
• Basket Dog Muzzle: This type of muzzle is meant for use on an active Pitbull that is going for swimming, running or playing. It is designed in such a way that it allows your dog to pant, breather, and drink easily, as well as lets you give him treats. Basket muzzles come in three varieties: metal basket muzzles, rubber basket muzzles, and plastic basket muzzles.
• Police Dog Muzzles: This refers to the dog muzzles that police officers usually use to train police dogs, and are normally characterized by their safety and strength. Their construction features soft leather which helps to protect the Pitbull’s mouth during training. If you opt for police dog muzzles, it’s recommended to select the basket-style model to enable your dog to breathe easily.
• Fabric or Nylon Mesh Muzzle: Another name for the nylon or fabric muzzle is occlusion or grooming muzzle. It is ideal when you want to use a muzzle for only a short time. This is because it shuts the mouth of your pooch, which makes it difficult for it to drink, eat or pant.
• Jafco Dog Muzzle: This is from JAFCO, a company specializing in dog muzzles. Made using durable plastic, it offers a better material and design than the standard plastic design.
• Funny Muzzle: The funny muzzle is increasingly becoming popular because it offers a design and style that differ from the conventional options. It helps to keep kids or adults around the Pitbull to feel relaxed.
• Homemade Dog Muzzle: Last but certainly not least is the homemade muzzle. It is designed for temporary use, especially in situations of emergency where there are real fears of dog bites.back to menu ↑
Top Pitbull Dog Muzzle Brands
Opinions are divided when it comes to the best muzzle brands in the market. However, these are our top picks.
• PitBull Terrier Secure Basket Dog Muzzle
This handcrafted muzzle features two adjustable leather straps that make it perfect for restraining strong and big dog breeds like Pitbull. The muzzle is created to perfectly fit your dog’s snout, but it is hard to remove. This muzzle from Collar Direct is also commonly used during dog training sessions since its design lets you give your pooch a treat whenever necessary. It also allows it to drink water easily.
• Metal Wire Basket Muzzle from Dogline
Another of the top-line dog muzzle brands is this multi-purpose Wire Dog Muzzle from Dogline. You can use it to muzzle your dog when you are at the vet’s place, grooming, walking or during training. You will love this muzzle since it has one of the best ventilation. It allows the dog to drink water and pant easily.
• Real Leather Cage Basket Secure Dog Muzzle
This durable and high-quality leather muzzle contains extra features like adjustable straps that are scratch-resistant. But the downside of this muzzle is that it can only be used for limited periods. If you want a muzzle for walking your dog for grooming, you need to consider other options. It’s intended for Pitbulls that like chewing a lot.
• Average Pitbull Muzzle Pricing
Fortunately, dog muzzles for your Pitbull don’t cost an arm and a leg. For just $30, you can get a decent muzzle for your dog. However, just as with anything, you get what you pay for when it comes to muzzles. The high-quality ones, expectedly, will cost more than cheaply-made dog muzzles. Do your research and get what will work for your dog.back to menu ↑
Questions & Answers
What is the best dog muzzle for a Pitbull?
When it comes to Pitbull dog muzzles, there is no one-size-fits-all. As a general rule, a basket muzzle is appropriate for exercise situations, and a fabric muzzle works where you need to prevent your dog from nipping or biting. After lots of research online and reading different reviews, this is the best Pitbull Dog Muzzle.
PitBull Terrier Secure Basket Dog Muzzle Genuine Leather
Featuring handcrafted genuine leather, this dog muzzle is specifically designed to be used on the Pitbull terrier. Additionally, if you have a Staffordshire terrier, you can as well use it. The muzzle might also be used on other dog breeds and features two adjustable straps.
Should I muzzle my PitBull?
A lot of Pitbull owners ask this question several times. The simple answer is that you should muzzle your Pitbull if it has previously caused injury to people or even other dogs.
Don’t be like the majority of people who seldom realize how dangerous dog aggression can be. If your dog has shown signs of aggression, make sure you muzzle it to help curb this aggression.
Do Pitbulls have to be muzzled in public?
Pitbulls are pretty aggressive animals and have to be restrained in public a lot of times. So yes, they should be muzzled in public whether during a sporting event, at a vet’s office, or a groomer’s salon. They may also be muzzled when around kids to reduce instances of dog bites.
How do you measure a Pitbull for a muzzle?
Choosing the correct size of your Pitbull muzzle is important in ensuring maximum comfort for the hound. You are advised to measure the snout of your Pitbull to help you buy the best muzzle. Ideally, you should take 6 measurements to arrive at the perfect muzzle size. These include the following:
• Length: The distance from the tip of the nose of your animal to its eye line
• Circumference: The distance around the snout of your dog just below the eye line.
• Eye Line: Measure the distance from your hound’s eye line to the ears line end.
• Neck circumference: The circumference around its neck
• Width: The width of the snout at its widest part
• Height: This refers to snout height
Is it cruel to muzzle a dog?
Dog muzzles have been created to allow for some level of comfort when worn by pooches. As such, it is not cruel. However, muzzles that don’t let a dog pant when they are worn should only be used temporarily. In fact, they shouldn’t be on your dog for more than a few minutes. What’s more, you may need to muzzle a dog because of its aggression history or past biting behavior. In such a case, the rights of the people and other animals around it supersede its freedom.
Susan McDonald is best known for her unique ability to connect with and train dogs. Growing up her friends and colleagues used to call her “The Dog Whisperer”. In college Susan majored in Veterinary Medicine, however instead of becoming a Veterinarian, Susan decided to pursue starting her own dog training business. Susan freelance writes for several online dog topic publications including FuzzyFacesDogTraining.com in her spare time.