Top 10 Best Chicken Free Dog Food for 2019 Reviews
Did you know dogs could be vegan too? Well, not exactly, but a lot of dogs are indeed allergic to certain meats. Chicken is a common dog food ingredient, yet one that a lot of dogs dislike or are allergic to the chicken.
To cope with this issue, you can use chicken free dog food. Here we discuss the 10 top chicken free dog food that is an excellent choice of meal for sensitive dogs!
1. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food – $50.99
This dog meal is not just free of chicken but also beef, dairy, corn, and eggs. There is no wheat, soy, artificial flavor, or synthetic preservative in this food, and it is designed specifically for adult dogs. Since this is dry food, it promotes the dental health of the dogs while satisfying their nutritional demands. The main ingredient in this chicken free dog food is salmon. It is rich in vitamins and antioxidants. You can get the 24lb pack at $50.99 only.
- It is a 100% natural dog meal free of any artificial ingredients.
- The generous amount of vitamins and antioxidants promote a healthy immune system in the dog.
- Dogs who eat this food will have better skin and fur.
- The ingredients do not compensate for the amount of protein needed by an adult dog.
- It consists of canola oil, which is not an ingredient that every dog owner likes to feed their pet.
2. Natural Ultramix Grain Free Poultry Free Adult Dry Dog Food – $42.10
This food is poultry free. With salmon as its main ingredient, this meal is free of soy, chicken, and grains. The ingredients are easily digestible, but it is a feed for adult dogs only. It is rich in fiber as well as fatty acids. You can get the 15lb bag of this chicken free dog food in $42.10 only.
- Its fatty acid and fiber-rich ingredients improve the dog’s digestive system.
- Manufactured exclusively in the USA, all the quality control is guaranteed.
- Along with the high protein content, this meal also provides vitamins in a generous amount.
- High calcium and phosphorus content promote the health of the dog’s bones and teeth.
- This chicken free food for dogs is among the most affordable options.
- It is not suitable for younger dogs.
- The formula may contain by-products that are only filler ingredients and of zero nutritional value to the animal.
3. Merrick Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Dog Food – $42.99
Your dog may not be able to eat chicken, but it can enjoy other meats. This food is free of chicken, but the protein content comes with the help of pork, beef, and lamb. You also have the option to choose a Salmon and Whitefish variation or a Turkey and Duck version. It’s grain-free. Apples, peas, flaxseed, potatoes, and sweet potatoes are the other ingredients in this product. You can choose between three different sized packs. The 25lb bag is available for $42.99 only.
- Pork, beef, and lamb are the primary protein sources in this food.
- Multiple variations of chicken alternatives offer a wider variety for your dog.
- It is suitable for all adult dog breeds.
- It offers a balanced nutritional value.
- It is not suitable for dogs who are entirely allergic to meat.
- The calcium content in this dog meal could have been higher.
4. Stella & Chewy’s Duck Duck Goose Dinner Patties – $49.99
This product is one of the best chicken free foods for dogs due to its unique nature. All ingredients are raw and natural. It is free of poultry but full of organic fruits and vegetables. By feeding this to your dog, you can expect a healthier immune system, dense coat, stronger teeth, and improved appetite. The 25 oz bag is available for $49.99, but there is also a chance of a discount.
- The main ingredients are a duck, turkey, and goose, so there is a generous amount of protein in this dog meal even though id free of chicken.
- It comes in the form of a patty which may be exciting for some dogs.
- There are no grains, antibiotics, hormones, or gluten ingredients in this dog meal.
- These patties need to be added to the dog’s diet in a transitional manner so any side effects of this food may not be as noticeable at first.
5. Merrick Real Salmon & Sweet Potato Recipe Food – $64.99
Another one of the top chicken free dog foods is this one by Merrick. Made of high-quality ingredients, you won’t find any artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors in this product. This dog feed contains real deboned salmon, and It is a grain-free formula without any gluten ingredients. The food is an ideal meal for all adult dog breeds. It provides sufficient protein content along with other necessary vitamins such as calcium and phosphorus. A 25 lb pack of this dog meal that is free of chicken is available for $64.99 only.
- Salmon and sweet potato are the two main ingredients of this dog feed, and they are both of high nutritional value.
- Every pack manufacturing is separate, so the quality remains intact.
- You will notice a visible difference in your dog’s appearance and health when you switch to this poultry free food.
- This food may contain filler ingredients that do not have any nutritional value otherwise.
- It is much more expensive than other chicken free food for dogs.
6. Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Dog Food – $59.84
The Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient Dog Food is a dry diet for all adult dogs. It is grain-free and chicken free all-natural ingredients such as potato and salmon make up the majority of this food. It is free of soy, dairy, eggs, corn, and wheat-gluten. There isn’t a long list of ingredients used in this dog feed, which is why it is such a safe feed for your pet. It is also one of the best chicken free dog meals for pets that have a sensitive digestive system. Expect a shinier coat and a stronger dog in general if your pet is on this food. You will get 24 lb of chicken free dog food in $59.84 only.
- In the comprehensive list of ingredients, the main ones are salmon and sweet potatoes.
- There are no filler ingredients.
- The formula is easy to digest, which makes it perfect for sensitive dogs.
- It is free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, and all such harmful ingredients.
- The protein content is not very high, and therefore, it won’t be a portion of a self-sufficient dog meal.
7. Zignature Kangaroo Limited Ingredient Grain-Free Dog Food – $77.99
This grain-free dry food by Zignature Kangaroo is a straightforward formula. It contains the necessary ingredients only. There is no risk that this food will trigger some allergy in your pet due to the limited ingredients used in it. Sunflower oil is present in this food, which is a very safe option in comparison with canola oil. Peas, flaxseed, dehydrated alfalfa meal, and chickpeas make a combination of a very well-balanced highly nutritional meal. The 27 lb bag is available for $77.99 only.
- Kangaroos, peas, and chickpeas are the three main ingredients, which are a unique combination.
- It is a very high-protein food despite the lack of chicken.
- The limited ingredient formula makes it safe for dogs with allergies or sensitive digestive systems.
- It is way pricier than other dog meals that are free of chicken if the quantity comparison is with the price.
- The fiber content could be higher to make digestion even more relaxed.
8. The Honest Kitchen Fish Recipe Food – $122.49
This grain-free fish recipe is one of the best foods for dogs that are free of chicken. With only six ingredients, this food is free of filler by-products. The best thing is that this dog feed is suitable for all ages of dogs of all breeds. With dehydrated white fish, spinach, pumpkin, chickpeas, coconut, and celery, this food makes a unique blend of minerals and nutrients that are incredibly healthy for your dog. It is a very high-quality chicken free dog meal made with all-natural ingredients. The 10 lb box is for $122.49 only.
- There are only six ingredients, all of which are incredibly healthy and nutritional. These include white fish, coconut, celery, spinach, pumpkin, and chickpeas.
- It is a grain-free product made with all-natural ingredients that are safe for dogs of all ages and breeds.
- The formula is easily digestible and delicious too.
- It is costly, but high-quality human-grade ingredients do justify the price.
- The formula is not ready to eat. You have to add water to this dehydrated food to make it digestible for the dog.
9. Instinct by Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient Dog Food – $59.99
Duck is an excellent alternative for chicken and one of the most common protein replacements in the top chicken free dog foods. This particular product also uses duck as the main ingredient, but that’s not the best feature. What makes this meal a winner is that the manufacturers make sure to use only cage-free ducks in the production of this food. It has easy to digest ingredients without any unnecessary elements. There is no soy, dairy, egg, wheat, corn, or potato.
Moreover, it is raw food that is also gluten-free. You can purchase a small 4 lb bag if you want to test this product out. If you like it, get the 20 lb bag for $59.99 only.
- The main ingredients are a duck, peas, and coconut oil, all of which are entirely safe and healthy for dogs.
- It provides proteins as well as amino acids which are essential for the health of an animal’s cells.
- This dog food is free of chicken along with a bunch of other food ingredients that some dogs are sensitive to eat. These include potatoes, chickpeas, beef, and sweet potatoes.
- There is a lack of fibers in this dog food, so it isn’t the right choice for dogs with weak digestive systems.
10. Taste of the Wild Dry Dog Food – $48.99
Taste of the Wild manufactures this dry dog food that is poultry-free and grain-free. The smoked salmon in this food provides protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and other essential nutrients. Other ingredients of this product are rich in probiotics and antioxidants, both of which are vital in maintaining the dog’s health. It is free of eggs too. This particular dog food is generally for adult dogs only.
- The main ingredient is smoked salmon, which is rich in protein.
- Sweet potatoes, potatoes, and peas are the other main ingredients that are a source of minerals and vitamins.
- It helps make the dog’s coat healthier.
- The formula is easily digestible and also boosts the immune system of the dog.
- This dog food includes canola oil in its ingredients which is a controversial choice due to its health-related factors
- It is not suitable for younger dogs.
These are the top chicken free dog foods you’ll find in the market. All the mentioned products are readily available too. Choose the one that sounds most suitable.
It might seem surprising to some dog owners, but they have allergies just like human beings. It might not be apparent right away, but some bad reactions to chicken could mean that it is time to select chicken free dog food.
The good news is that special types of dog food are now more available than ever before. It isn’t a struggle to find options for special needs. There are also plenty of affordable options from name-brand companies as well. Looking for tips on selecting chicken free dog food? Here is everything you need to know when going through the shopping process.back to menu ↑
How to tell if your dog is allergic to chicken
A chicken allergy is fairly common with dogs, so it is important for owners to always be on the lookout for any out of the ordinary behavior. Allergy symptoms include itching and scratching, skin issues such as infection or even hair loss, vomiting and diarrhea, and more. All of the symptoms can be due to something else as well, so if the problems persist, a veterinarian should take a closer look. They will be able to identify the problem and get a dog heading down the right path.
A chicken allergy develops when the dog’s immune system becomes too oversensitive to the ingredient. Some dogs are actually born with a chicken allergy, while others seem to develop one over time. It’s important to stop feeding chicken to the dog, because the problem can get worse and worse.
Never think that a puppy who absolutely loves the chicken couldn’t possibly be allergic to chicken just a few years later. Allergies work a bit differently with dogs compared to humans, and the development can be rather quick in some cases.back to menu ↑
Top Chicken Meat Alternatives for Dogs
A dog still needs plenty of protein, even if they have an allergy to chicken. The most common solution is to increase the use of beef in dog food. This is a pretty commonly used meat, and it provides a lot of the same benefits from a nutritional standpoint.
Some dogs develop a chicken and beef allergy, so pursue other meats in that case. Alternatives that are different enough for most dogs include duck, rabbit, pork, and more. Try out small samples at first to make sure that no symptoms are flaring up with those meats. It will also be easy to tell whether the dog actually enjoys the food or not.back to menu ↑
Chicken Free Dog Food Selection Tips
Picking out dog food that is chicken free isn’t really much different than regular food shopping. The only difference, of course, is avoiding anything that has chicken in it.
The first step is to understand exactly what makes good dog food. It should have quality meats in it, but dogs need more for a healthy diet. They rely on nutrients from grains, vegetables, and fruits as well. Search for high-quality versions that have all of this included in one combination.
Major brands do matter, mostly because they are very upfront with exactly what they put into each bag of dog food. The smaller the ingredient list, usually the higher-quality the food is. It’s important to examine what exactly certain foods consist of. When looking at the meat, make sure they label it clearly. For example, beef is an ingredient that needs to reach 70% to actually get labeled as “beef”. If labeled as “beef entrée” or “beef platter,” only 10% needs to actually be beef.
Dogs vary in size so much, so it would be crazy to think that a Chihuahua has the same diet as a golden retriever. Always make sure to shop specifically for certain breeds. Some dogs need a lot more calories per day to stay energized than others. Giving a dog too many calories is a good way to fatten them up.
Finally, there is always a debate between dry dog food and wet dog food. Some dogs will eat any and everything, so it doesn’t make that much of a difference in the end. However, pickier dogs might prefer one over the other. Dry food is more readily available and also more affordable, so most owners prefer their dogs love this. Wet food is a bit more palatable, making it a tasty alternative for picky dogs.
Try out a few different options to get a better feel for what your dog enjoys most. Buy in small packages at first to avoid being stuck with a bunch of food that might not be used in the end.back to menu ↑
Types of Dog Food without Chicken
Most owners who look for dog food without chicken will begin by giving their dog very similar foods, just without chicken. Instead, replace the meat with beef, duck, rabbit or any other type of protein.
If that doesn’t work, there are always two types of dog foods available for any breed. Dry food and wet food both provide the same amount of nutrients to dogs, but some with allergies will prefer one over the other.
A dog’s stomach is going to be pretty touchy if they are dealing with any type of allergy, so it is important to be very flexible during that time. Pay close attention when switching from dry food or wet food, and from different meats. As soon as it looks like a quality option is turning into their new favorite, commit to buying in bulk.back to menu ↑
Top Chicken Free Dog Food Brands & Pricing
A lot of the top brands in the world offer chicken free options for dog owners. Since it is a fairly common food allergy, they know exactly what they need to change up the diet in a strategic way.
Some of the top reviewed brands include Blue Buffalo, Nature’s Recipe, Instinct, Purina and more. Always make sure to read the ingredient list before making a purchase. Every single brand is going to be slightly different with what they put into their food. If a dog has a chicken allergy, they might be allergic to other foods as well.
Name brands are great, but don’t be afraid to try out alternatives as well. Sometimes, a person can save some money and still get quality ingredients at the same time by looking past the marketing.back to menu ↑
Questions & Answers
What is the best chicken free dog food?
There is no exact answer to the question, simply because there are so many types of dogs out there. When a dog deals with an allergy, they tend to be pickier eaters in general. What might work for one dog could be a disaster for another.
With that being said, there are some very highly rated options online. A lot of chicken free options from Blue Buffalo and Nature’s Recipe have high ratings online in the dry food category. This seems like a great place to start for owners trying to figure out new foods for their dogs.
Purina is the most popular brand with wet foods, but all the major companies have plenty of competition. Sample a few top options and see which one works best for your dog. After a few samples, the list should narrow down pretty quickly.
Why is my dog allergic to chicken?
A dog becomes allergic to chicken when their immune system is too sensitive to the ingredient. If their immune system starts to identify chicken as dangerous, the body automatically starts to respond negatively.
What actually causes this? Nobody knows for sure.
Some dogs are born with a chicken allergy, and parents pass down that trait in some cases. It can also be an allergy that develops over the years. A dog’s body changes quite a bit in a relatively short amount of time, so it’s not uncommon to see a puppy who loves chicken become allergic a year later.
There is really nothing that an owner can do to avoid chicken allergy issues. Veterinarians can’t provide much assistance either. The good news is that it handled properly, the chicken allergy isn’t that much of a big deal. There are so many different alternatives that the dog never has to eat chicken again. Dogs can adapt pretty easily, so they won’t feel sad about missing out on a favorite food. They are still more than capable of living a healthy. long life.
Is eating chicken bad for dogs?
If a dog does not have a chicken allergy, it is perfectly fine for them to eat as much chicken as they want. The meat has several nutrients in it that makes it a very healthy and lean protein for dogs to rely on.
It only becomes bad for dogs if they do have an allergy. The allergic reactions are usually not too bad in the beginning, but they get worse and worse as time goes on. Completely isolate chicken for a dog’s diet if they become allergic.
What is the top chicken meat alternative for dogs?
Beef is the most common alternative to chicken, and it is extremely easy to find locally or online. Not as common options include rabbit, duck, pork, venison and more. If a dog really seems to enjoy chicken, going with another white meat might be the first option to consider.
Remember to sample as many different new formulas as possible. Take the extra bit of time to make the dog happy. It can be stressful to change diet, so pay attention to how they react to new foods.
What is the healthiest food to feed your dog?
It’s important to always look for dog food options that have a simple ingredient list that is very straightforward. A lot of companies try to be creative with their listings, and that could mean plenty of filler ingredients. This is not healthy for the dog, and companies do this to cut costs.
Looking for dog food with beef? Make sure the ingredient simply says “beef” and includes just how much of the food is actual meat. If the company uses creative terms around the name of the meat, that usually means they are trying to hide something.
Dogs need fruits and vegetables to complete their diet and get the right amount of nutrients as well. If a dog food incorporates those responsibly, that usually makes for a very healthy option.